Sunday, April 22, 2012

Skinny Tips

Skinny Tips via a Jillian's Michael's Podcast 3/24/12
Tip in black, my comments in purple

1. Eat 8 almonds or 5 walnuts before a big meal, no more, it's not a snack. This will keep you full for a longer time so you will eat less.  Don't see anything odd about this one.  Someone might have an issue stopping with just 8. 

2. Brush your teeth throughout the day. You don't want to eat if you just brushed your teeth. I'm not sure this will stop me. That just brushed taste fades quick although having nice brushed teeth does feel good.

3. If you desire pizza and you avoid the craving by eating an apple, then XX, then XX by the time you are done you would have eaten the same amount of calories as the pizza. So eat 3 bites of the thing you desire (pizza, etc), walk away and wait 10 min. Hopefully the craving will have passed.  JM admitted this is a hard one.  Could I stop at just 3.  Honestly I doubt it but it could be worth a try.

4. Wear tight clothes or Spanx.  OK this is fantastic and I totally get it.  With my gain over the last year my nicer clothes no longer fit and the ones that do are too loose, giving me lots of room.  When I do put on something more fitted I feel so uncomfortable.  If I wore something tight to a party I definitely might avoid eating too much.  I need to wear fitted clothes more often to remind myself I need to work on it.  All my house clothes are huge, comfy and loose.

5. It's ok to have carbs - White and whole wheat pasta are high glycemic. Preferable eat brown rice or quinoa pasta. If you make it Al Dente it lowers the gymycemic index of the pasta.  I pretty much avoid pasta. I never time pasta and I usually over cook it, I will have to keep a close eye on it.  Not sure the toddler would eat Al Dente.

6. With high glycemic index food, food combine with fat and protein you will slow down the insulin release of the carbs. Still stay within the portion control.  This is the cornerstone of Insulin Resistance (or diabetic) diet.  Every meal should have a counteracting protein in it.  I strive to eat this way.  It works for my body, in fact it will work for all body's.

7. Fiber supplement - not the fake stuff, not laxatives - psyllium husks. Fiber is a bulking agent it make you feel more full. Take before your meal.  I've never tried psyllium husks but I do use Chia seeds.  It does give you a satisfied feeling.  Sometimes I will bring a cup full of water or tea with chia in it to sip on at a party. 

8. Dump salt or something on your food when you are done eating something (restaurant) and ruin the food. Destroying any temptations.  Totally reasonable idea or getting a box and putting it right in.  I would totally pick otherwise.  I still have the clean you plate mentality ingrained in my brain.  I fight it all the time.

1 comment:

  1. For lunch today I had one of my new favorite meals - zucchini pizza:) I take a whole zucchini and slice it, maybe into 1/4 inches circles. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes with some salt, pepper, oregano sprinkled on top. Then top with sauce, low-fat mozzarella, and turkey pepperoni, or any toppings you choose and bake for 10 more minutes. I haven't had real pizza in so long I can't remember!

    ReplyDelete