Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Our Love Story

Yesterday I read Kaycie’s Love story and I thought I would share mine. The love has been strong around here. I will try to share pictures but I also respect hubby’s right to privacy.
1. How long have you and your significant other been together?We have been together for 13 and known each other for about 17 years.
DSC_0095
Our 10 year Anniversary celebration

2. How did you meet? {What's your "love" story?}Ours is not a typical love story. You know the one where we meet and instantly fall in love. Combine one very shy and socially awkward man with one hurt baggage carrying lady and you can see it takes some time and serious armor shrinking.  We were both part of a large social group of friends.  He was an old timer in the group and I was a newcomer.  He was interested in me from the start but I was resistant.  It wasn’t until a few years later where he finally showed his authentic self did I allow my armor to come down.

3. How long have you been married?In April we will be married for 11 years.

4. Where did you get married at? Big or small wedding?
What defines big or small? I guess I would choose medium. We tied the knot on a nearly 90 year old yacht cruising Newport Beach harbor. The yacht is beautiful, full of teak wood and details. We had 106 guests join us for a cocktail party (open bar). Not a full meal and no sit down. It was crowded and fun. We never lived together beforehand and at the time we lived 250 miles apart. We married in April and I didn’t move in with him until late August.

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!“Hun, Babe, Pain in my A**”. Almost never call him by his real name.

6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.1. He is an excellent daddy and husband
2. He knows me deep down to my core and is able to muck through all my BS
3. He believes in marriage and love

7. Tell us how he proposed? One year later we met at the same location of our first date. It’s one of those places with a movie theater, shops and tons of restaurants. I was sitting at the fountain where I had waited the year before. He came up and pretended to be tying his shoe. He said, “While I am down here ….” and went into his proposal. I don’t remember the exact words. Afterwards we went out to a nice diner.


8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?None of the above. His philosophy is that you don’t need a certain day to show your love.  In fact just a few mins ago he asked what I was writing.  Me – Our love story for my blog.  Him – oh yeah it’s valentines day, what did you get me.  Me- My undying love and respect and GS cookies.  Him – me too but no cookies.

9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?Our MO now is relax on the couch and watch shows so I like when things are out of the norm. Like a night where we just talk all night or play games.  Date nights are great too.  Honestly I love when we can spend some time ALONE.  It is such a rare occurrence.  Going shopping at Costco alone is perfection.  The kids add a tangible tension to our relationship at times. 

10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?Dreaming – all inclusive trip to some tropical place.

11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine's Day. Refer to #8.  With 2 kids and no family to watch them its an easy answer. Nothing. We will spend today together. Why do you want to fight the craziness. If the budget allows I will ask him if we want to plan a date night.

12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's day?I just received an awesome gift of a weekend away. What more can I ask for.


13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love. Communication. The number one sign of distress in our marriage is when the communication breaks down. You have to be able to communicate your needs and wants and issues.


14.  Show us a picture of what love means to you.
DSC_0090

TRUST

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Love this post! And thanks for the link back!

      I found myself agreeing with a majority of your answers, ha. In particular, number 9 was my husband and I to a T (minus the part about children, because we don't have any of those yet). I love being able to relax with my honey, but every once in a while I want to go do something a little special. Or at least stay in and visit with one another (as opposed to just vegging out on the couch w/our computers in our laps).

      11 years together is incredible! Congratulations on what sounds like a beautiful marriage and love story!

      Delete
  2. Aww. This is the sweetest entry that I have read! :')

    ReplyDelete