Sunday, February 19, 2012

Muscle Memory

Our bodies are amazing. You treat it right and it returns the favor, most of the time.

By definition "Muscle memory has been used synonymously with motor learning, which is a form of procedural memory that involves consolidating a specific motor task into memory through repetition. When a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort. This process decreases the need for attention and creates maximum efficiency within the motor and memory systems" (from Wikipedia)

Why am I bringing this up? It has been a long time since I consistently went to a yoga class. Way too long in my opinion. Can't even remember the last time. With my gift certificate I have taken 3 or 4 hot yoga classes this month. The first and second time I couldn't even remotely do a wheel or plow. Things I used to be able to do easily. Tonight was a different story. I dug deep and did both with ease while dripping with sweat.  Neither of my poses look as good as below (from Yoga Journal online).
Wheel                                                               Plow                           
hp_219_UrdhvaDhanurasana_248.jpgHP_216_Halasana_248.jpg

Funny how our bodies remember to do. Unfortunately this is the only good thing going well this month. Other exercise and food choices have been rough going.

No comments:

Post a Comment