Monday, February 27, 2012

Cooking Love

This past weekend I was in a cooking frenzy. Part of the love comes from getting new tools. For Christmas I received a 7 quart cast iron Dutch oven (that I bought on Black Friday) and a stick blender. Two items I've never had but always loved and desired.

Over the years I converted from an exact measurement cook to an eyeball and experimentation cook. I was unsure of cooking abilities before and my chemistry background enforced using exact measurements. I credit shows like Rachael Ray with the change in my cooking.  Nowadays I look a recipe and wing it.  Add here and there and hand measure the spices (like Rachel).

This weekend I made a big batch of chili and chicken tortilla soup. The chili was excellent. The soup was good but not what I expected. I took a friend's recipe and obliterated it. Sometimes experimentation get you in trouble.

Eating clean unprocessed foods requires cooking.  Sometimes it's a royal pain in the you know what.  Other times I love the process.

1 comment:

  1. I love tweaking recipes and making them "my own." It makes the process more fun and it's always nice to adjust to your tastes.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete