Sunday, October 9, 2011

First OA Meeting

On Friday I attended my first OA (Overeaters Anonymous) meeting.  The location I attended also includes a H.O.W section.

It hard to put to words how I felt it the meeting so bear with me.  I don’t think a H.O.W OA meeting is the right thing for me.  The H.O.W has you eat no sugar, no white flour and only portion controlled meats and veggies and specific times for 30 days and then slowly add in good grains overtime.  This is not for me.  I know how to eat right, I need to discover why I choose not to eat right and specific times I eat compulsively (stress, sad, social, etc).

Most of the people there were 20 years or more my senior.  There was only 2 somewhere near my age.  As much as age should not be an issue, it doesn’t give me a sense of comrade or the feeling someone knows where I am coming from (maybe 20 year ago they did).  On the other hand ladies were kind and invited me to lunch (El Pollo Loco).

Most of the meeting was just reading from books or papers.  No actions.

I didn’t walk away with “oh, this is where I start” feeling.  I didn’t walk away with any take home message.  I really didn’t walk away with much except an envelope with some welcome stuff in it.

Next week I am going to try a different time and location.

1 comment:

  1. I spent 15 years in OA. There was a lot I liked, the support, the camaraderie, other people stories and sharing. There was a lot I hated: the books, the steps, the feeling of rigidity. That's just me.

    ReplyDelete