Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years and a Lifetime Later

I am sitting here today snuggling with a squishy 2 year old, next to a handsome 7 year old playing video game reflecting on September 11, 2001. 

In 2001 I was a newlywed in a new town and new job light years away from my previous life.  Less than 2 months before I moved from suburban Orange Country (The OC) to a border town in the hot desert mere miles from Mexico.  Less then 2 weeks before I accepted a position as a middle school science teacher for 7th and 8th grade.  My prior career was an analytical Chemist for a major pharmaceutical company.  I had no previous teacher experience or training.  Talk about crazy.

Being 3 hours behind, by the time I reached school many of the events on the East Coast had already unfolded without my knowledge.  I heard some water cooler talk about stuff happened but was still unaware of the complete tragedy and attack unfolding on our country.

I enter my classroom and turned on the TV.  Our TV had few channels but one of the happened to be CNN.  Once I realized what was truly happening I call my hubby and woke him up.  At the time he was a US Boarder Patrol agent.  Like most of the US I was glued to the TV but at some point our principal requested a return to “normal” activity and the TV’s off.  I had to keep myself together considering I had to be in front of over 180 11 to 13 year olds fro the rest of the day. 

Flash forward to yesterday.  A day where I went with my 2 beautiful sons to our cities Patriot Day celebration.  My son in his Boy Scout uniform and me beaming with pride as tears streamed down my face.  The celebration / memorial included bag pipes, a USMC battalion, tanks and truck for the kids to explore, a USMC family who lost their son a few months ago, a 21 gun salute, etc.  My hubby was at work, work where he is a first responder.  He is among the brotherhood of men and women who ran into those buildings, who provided control among the chaos.

I am proud to be an American, proud of my husband and happy to have the life I am blessed to have.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. And, to your First Responder, please give him a thank you from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have a way with words but thank you on both fronts.

    ReplyDelete