Saturday, July 9, 2011

To Plan or Not To Plan

Originally posed on March 19, 2010.  Yet again this is still a reoccurring issue for me.  Since I am part of a group exercise class (Kettlebells) my workouts are pretty scheduled.  Now that doesn’t mean I don’t change plans, I do.  For example if one of the kids are sick and I have a very bad night, I am NOT going to go to boot camp at 5am.  Hubby’s schedule has variability to it too, I have to go with the flow.  With food I am still not a planner.  I occasionally menu plan dinners for the week prior to grocery shopping but that is about the extant.  Maybe that is the missing peace of the puzzle.

Planning and preparing is a fine balance for me. On one hand I need to plan out how my week is and how I am going to eat. But on the other if I over plan, and go off plan I feel failure which is not good. Let me explain.

Looking over the past 3 months. I found I was most successful during the times I actually scheduled my workouts for the whole week and thought about my eating plan. I not saying I had every meal for every day planned out. Just a bit more forethought than going by the seat of my pants. For example no milk or bread for the week.

On the other hand I know I can be a bit obsessive. If I calorie count every bite using a great website like www.sparkpeople.com I start getting a bit nutty about it. If I indulge or go over I feel like I failed and get a bit upset. When plans are too specific, like Cooler #1 from Eat Clean, I feel confined, restricted and I REBEL. Yes I said it, I REBEL. I am a 36 year old rebellious kid. If you know my husband and I you won’t believe the next sentence. I am super stubborn, more stubborn than my husband. It’s true people. I am just better at hiding it. If I miss a planned exercise then not so nutty. Food is where I need to stay focused. Exercise is icing on my healthy cake.

So it’s all about balance. Seems to be a running theme in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I always end up super psyched about using calorie counters such as SparkPeople, but they only last about a week or two because they are so demanding and I get lazy with them. I like to just set little goals (I call them "Vows") in order to keep my diet in check.
    Also, I make sure to check the NutritionMenu App to make sure I keep within reason at restaurants.

    ReplyDelete