Saturday, July 16, 2011

Is Being Selfish a Bad Thing - Repost

Originally posted on March 16th, 2010.  Still struggling with this.  Probably more so now with the toddler being over a year older and my 7 year olds needs have transformed lately.  I wish I had some internal timer.  Buzz – you have been on the computer too long time to play with your kids.  Buzz – its time to workout and plan your food.  Buzz – time to clean up the house.

Selfish \Self"ish\, 1. Caring supremely or unduly for one's self; regarding one's own comfort, advantage, etc., in disregard, or at the expense, of those of others. [1913 Webster], 2. Believing or teaching that the chief motives of human action are derived from love of self. [1913 Webster].

I am beginning to realize that this weight loss journey takes a bit of selfishness. This epiphany came to me today. Every day I have to love myself enough to choose myself. Every day and moment is a battle to be selfish enough to be successful on this journey versus balancing all the other stuff of life. Sometimes I have to choose the treadmill over playing with my son. The balance of it all is hard. Today I choose to pay a babysitter $20 of my “allowance” so I could go to a yoga class. That’s 20% of my money for 2 weeks. Many days I choose to leave the house a bit dirty so that I get my workout in and proper sleep. But oh do I do that 100% guilt free? Not always. Sometimes there is guilt involved when I choose to be selfish. I think the #2 definition hits the nail on the head of how I am thinking.

In my SAHM (Stay at Home Mom) journey I have met many many moms. Some of these moms seem to be super “with it” and really have the balance, but on the other hand they admit to getting only 4 hours of sleep. Is that really in balance?

2 comments:

  1. I think being selfish is definitely a necessity in weight loss, but there is a point in going too far. Maybe incorporate exercises that can be done while playing with your children?
    Plus, it's not completely selfish because by taking care of yourself you are adding years onto your life which can be spent with them once you're caught up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oprah and Dr. Phil would applaud you for putting yourself first:) I can't imagine how I'd do what I do now if my kids were still little. There are certainly some benefits to them getting older and self-sufficient.

    ReplyDelete