Thursday, July 28, 2011

Book Review – 4 Hour Body

I want to share my thoughts of this book so far.  I am barely getting started and so far LOVE it.  I love the way he writes and have found some awesome quotes.  Here is a few I want to highlight.  Quotes are in purple with my comments right after.

Don’t use skepticism as a thinly veiled excuse for inaction or remaining in your comfort zone.  Be skeptical, but for the right reason.  Be proactively skeptical, not defensively skeptical. This is one of his rules for reading his book.  Could apply to anything.  Especially anything related to weight loss.  Fall along the lines of do something.

Take adherence seriously:  will you stick with this change until you hit your goal.  If not, find another method, even if it’s less effective and efficient.  The decent method you follow is better than the perfect method you quit.  - well said

People will think that because genes play a role in something, they determine everything. We see, again and again, people saying, “It’s all genetic. I can’t do anything about it.” That’s nonsense. To say that something has a genetic component does not make it unchangeable, Eric Lander – Leader or the Human Genome Project.  I take issue with people say it’s genetic.  I was dealt a crappy hand when it comes to the gene pool and weight – PCOS and apple shape.  Does that mean I should throw in the towel and let myself go – hell to the no.

The creator of the “calorie” as we know it, 19th-century chemist Wilbur Olin Atwater, did not have the technology that we have today. He incinerated foods. Incineration does not equal human digestion; eating a fireplace log will not store the same number of calories as burning one will produce. Tummies have trouble with bark, as they do with many things.   - The chemist in me is dancing a jig.  Its not just about calories in – calories out.  What you eat plays a vital role.  As you can see the author has a bit of a sarcastic tone – love me some sarcasm.

Good quotes?  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Oh I absolutely don't think it is only calories in vs. out.

    ReplyDelete