Saturday, May 21, 2011

“When You Eat at the Fridge, Pull Up a Chair”

Cover Image

I had to give kuddos to my 7 year old.  He has to make a diorama of the dessert.  He wanted to go to the library and do some old school research, his words.  Even though I told him we could look it up on the internet.  We actually had a great time looking up books and then starting the project.  While there I picked up a book for myself too.  I don’t loan out library books too often because I am a slow reader and forget to return them.

I know this author has many books of eating, etc but this was the only one available.  I want to share the book with you and my feelings about it.  Over the next few weeks I will add a review to my blog.

Chapter 1 – Whatever You Do Don’t Diet

In Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind, Shunryu Suzuki talks about giving farm animals big pasture to roam.  He says that when you fence them in too tightly, they become wild and restless, but when you provide wide, open space, they relax.  The same is true of human beings.

The premise of this chapter is basically that diet (depravation) set us up for failure.  I believe in this whole heartily.  Now I am aware  there is a very opposite opinion out there in the blog world.  The other opinion is “you do all you can to drop all the weight quickly with strict dieting”.  I understand the logic behind this reasoning.  Yes at the rate I am going I will be ancient when I reach my goal but slow is the right path for me.  I know it, I learned it over the past year or so.  it works for me.  Losing weight is not one size fits all.  Weight loss is 80% diet, 10% exercise, 10% genetics and another 100% mental.  For some people strict dieting works or as I have seen many times works for awhile then fails to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment