Thursday, February 3, 2011

Great Numbers but ……

Today was Dr. day.  On basically a biannual basis I see an endocrinologist.  She tracks my internal chemistry, BP and weight in addition to prescribing Metformin to control my insulin resistance.

My previous blood work results can be see here.

2/20101/2011Notes
A1C5.35.3<5.7 is decreased risk of diabetes
Cholesterol201183
HDL5748> 46 desired, good cholesterol
LDL123121<130 desired, bad cholesterol
Ratio3.53.8< 5 good
Triglycerides10572<150 desired

Since my last visit in August, her records indicate about a 4 pound weight loss.  She is concerned about my blood pressure.  She thinks its still a bit too high. 

So ….  My total cholesterol and triglycerides are excellent.  The bummer is that my good cholesterol (HDL) dropped 9 points.  That’s not good.  Dr. said more aerobic exercise and omega 3’s (2000 mg daily).  My weight change was blah but you all know I have been struggling with dropping significant weight over the last 6 months. 

The blood pressure is scary.  My family history with BP is not pretty.  Dr.’s recommendation was drop weight & reduce salt to avoid BP medicine.  I am going to monitor my BP on a regular basis and work on stress reduction techniques on a daily basis.

It’s hard with a nearly 2 year old who just this week decided to scream in the middle of the night.  We had a few months of full sleep but no more.  Now, not only is waking up screaming but he is also refusing to go back to bed.  Today he woke at 4:30 am, we tended to his needs, he refused to go back down, I sat on the floor until he calmed, snuck out of the room, he woke up, on and off slept / cried until I got him out at 6:30 am.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I remember those days of kids disrupting my sleep! I feel for you.

    My BP was a tiny bit high last time I saw my doctor which is part of why I decided to try meditating. I am trying to watch my sodium too but there is so much in foods I eat, like cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love cheese. I was fustrated too. I am exercising, I am dropping weight.

    ReplyDelete