Saturday, February 5, 2011

10,000 Swings

I joined a challenge.  In the month of February I will do 10,000 Kettlebell swings on top of my regular exercise.  As of today I am at 1200.

What is a KettleBell?

A 'kettlebell' or girya (Russ.) is a traditional Russian cast iron weight that looks like a cannonball with a handle. The ultimate tool for extreme all-round fitness. The kettlebell goes way back, it first appeared in a Russian dictionary in 1704 (Cherkikh, 1994). So popular were kettlebells in Tsarist Russia that any strongman or weightlifter was referred to as a girevik, or 'a kettlebell man'.

What the hell is a swing?  Without proper instruction, most people do a bad swing.  The picture below is of my instruction Paul Daniels doing a swing.  Paul is an RKC Team Leader.  RKC  = Russian KettleBell Certification.    I use at 12 kg bell (~26 pounds).

kbell

Here is a swing video.  Just a note (Paul) the technique looks good to me but I am not 100% sure, since I am not RKC.

Why Swing?
1). Swings develop the important posterior chain muscles of the body such as the hamstrings, glutes, core and back. These muscles are often overlooked with traditional weight training but they are crucial for a large number of sports as these muscles are heavily involved in sprinting, jumping and tackling movements.

2). Kettlebell swings hit a lot of muscle at one time and get the heart rate soaring. Swings are a fantastic conditioner and body fat burner.

3). Swings work the abs and strengthen the core muscles as they provide a stable platform for other muscles to pull from. Traditional crunches are useless and do nothing for you.

4). A key benefit of kettlebell swings is that they train all parts of the back from the lower back all the way to traps. High rep swings also develop back endurance

Sorry so long.  I wanted to explain more about what the heck I have been doing for the past 2 months.  My body is transforming.  I promise I will get pictures.  Just a note, in class we do far more then just swings.

3 comments:

  1. I love my kettlebell, but I like to do Olimpic snatches with my kettlebell, instead of swings. But girl, 10K??? That is SO MUCH! What an effort to have done 1200 already-how are you still walking?

    Too cool. Good for you!

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no! I like this! Thank you for posting. I have the Kettlenetics DVDs and the 4 lb K-bell, but I'm too out of shape to do it right now (I'll work my way to that endurance and level). But this is a GREAT thing for me to do in the interim. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be fair on the 1200. My trainer is letting the swings we do in class count to the 10000. I train with him 2-4 days a week. We average about 300 swings in class. I did purchase a 26 pounder that I pick up tommorow.

    I am fatigued right now. We did 1.5 hour class this am and on friday I did 1hr kettlebell boot camp and then 1 hr kickboxing. I am beat.

    ReplyDelete