Sunday, January 16, 2011

Trying Something New

For months I have been on the fence about buying a heart rate or activity monitor.  I love the idea of the activity monitor and seeing your total calories burned.  But on the other hand I want to see my heart rate during vigorous exercise and if I was a runner, it would be nice to see the distance, etc.  I don’t think there is a device that does both.  I also dislike having to pay a online subscription to use the activity monitors.

In comes Costco today.

My love of everything Costco is wide and deep.  Today while shopping and dragging both kids I discovered something. Side rant -  I hate going to Costco on the weekends but it was a must.  I happened to go into a side aisle, while leaving kiddos at the end, with some exercise stuff it it.  Low and behold there was a display for a Garmin heart rate monitor and the Body Media Fit monitor.  The Body Media Fit monitor happen to have a $50 instant rebate on it bringing the price to about $149.  The package also includes 12 months of the online program.

So …..

I bought it.  I am sitting here waiting for the thing to charge up so I can put it on and go to bed.  It also monitors your sleep behavior.  I figured since I was already committed to tracking my calories to get some weight off me, I might as well see what I am burning.

Stay tuned for more.  Do you have a fitness monitor?  Thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. I'm curious to see how you like it. My husband asked if I wanted one for Christmas and I just couldn't picture wearing it all the time. Seems pretty cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw those the other day and thought about you, but hadn't had a chance to talk to you about it yet. I was actually thinking about replacing my bodybug with one, so you'll have to let me know how it goes. Having a calorie burn monitor is an awesome tool, but like everything, you have to use it to it's full potential or else it just becomes a very expensive pedometer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a Body Bugg off ebay, and I am not going to get the subscription, because I just want to see it daily, not track it. I think it will be great to see how many calories I actually, or closely, burn, and having constant heart rate monitoring so I can stay at 80% of max heart rate during workout...


    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a fitness tracker - only a heart rate monitor. I wear it during bigger workouts to get my true calories burned. I suppose I could wear it all day, but I don't want my head to start thinking that the calories I burn at rest count as "exercise" calories... and since I'm weird that way, I can't have the temptation. I'm not sure that makes sense. I am very interested in hearing how your experience is!! I've always been curious.

    ReplyDelete