Friday, January 14, 2011

Baby Steps

Today my MOPS group listened to a guest speaker on the Dr. Sears LEAN program.  The concept is great, the speaker not so much.  Basically the program is Lifestyle (L), Exercise (E), Attitude (A) and Nutrition (N).  Is is geared toward parents but the concepts are universal.

The problem was that many of the moms felt overwhelmed or felt like “I am killing my kids because I give them XXX”.  Change is slow.  Very slow.  Even though I have been on a steady weigh loss journey for the past year, I have been changing my eating habits for nearly 5 years.  Baby steps. 

I started with dropping diet drinks.  Then I removed artificial sweeteners out of my life.  This wasn’t for diet reasons, more so for chemical reasons.  Then I removed HFCS.  Reading labels closer also came into play.   I was slowly adopting a cleaner, whole foods lifestyle.  And guess what I am still not there yet.

I tried to convey the baby step concept to some of the moms.  I also feel that we (as parents) don’t have to go 100% no sugar, all whole, all clean.  Some may disagree with me but I believe in moderation.  It took me years to moderate my portion control and clean the plate issues.  Being able to moderate sweets and the “bad stuff” is more important than 100% denial.  I am not sure the 100% denial is teaching anything.  If you kids goes to a party and has cake you can use it as a teaching moment.  Cake is fine once in a blue moon but this why we don’t want to eat too much.

With my kids, there is so many food issue but there is one area I feel I can pat myself on the back.  Pre kids I made it clear to hubby we will NOT instill a clean your plate mentality.  Now, I observe my 7yo get a piece of cake, take a few bites and then leave it.  I don’t think I could do that, yet.  I feel he intuitivly learned to listen to his body.  He knows when he is full.  Something that took me years to re-learn.

2 comments:

  1. I like your approach. I am also not a clean plate club parent. I did screw up with what my boys eat - too much crap and not enough veggies. I'd go back and do this differently if I could. But neither overeats. Gotta love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your approach too. It's something we're working on here. We started by adding whole grain foods (none of that white bread, white rice, white pasta crap). Then, we took away juice. Then, we got the reduced sugar foods. We're vegetarian, too, so he gets tons of fresh fruits and veggies (and EATS them). He hasn't complained. It's nice to know he's eating healthier than most of the kids in America. :)

    ReplyDelete