Thursday, December 16, 2010

Greek Frittata Recipie

I adore this recipe.  It originates from Real Simple magazine but I have made some modifications.  It is a great way to get your veggies in and be low carb.  You can eat this anytime of the day.  It's my go to for breakfast / brunch buffets.

Greek Frittata - 4 servings
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 10 large eggs - I use mostly egg whites with 1-5 full eggs or a carton of real eggs*
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• I have been adding an Onion Onion mix from Tastefully Simple - Yum
• 1 5-ounce bag baby spinach
• 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
• 4 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced, you can skip
• 8 ounces feta, crumbled

*If you use more egg whites or the carton of eggs it takes longer to cook.

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350° F.
2. Add the oil to a 2-quart casserole and transfer to oven for 5 minutes.  I use a 9x13 baker sometimes.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper. Add the spinach, tomatoes, and scallions and combine. Gently stir in the feta.
4. Remove casserole from oven. Pour the egg mixture into casserole. Bake until the frittata is browned around the edges and slightly puffed and a knife comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. I noticed the time take a lot longer depending on what kind of eggs you use.

Nutrition Info - From the magazine.  Egg white modification will change the numbers.  Usually it makes more than 4 servings for me.  More like 6 or 8.
Calories 461; Calories From Fat 68%; Fat 35g; Sat Fat 4g; Cholesterol 579mg; Sodium 1,868mg; Carbohydrate 8g; Fiber 2g; Sugar 5g; Protein 26g
Real Simple, September 2006

ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good, Amy! Do I have to use 3T of oil? Do you know if it's freezable? If I make it, would it last in the freezer or refrigerator so I could have a serving for a few days in a row? How much is the Onion Onion mix you use? Like a Tablespoon or so?

    Sorry for all the questions... I love new low-carb recipes! :)

    Alesha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't measure. Roughtly enough oil to coat to prevent sticky. about 1/2 to 1 tbsp onion mix. Don't know about the freezer. We will eat it about 2 days after baking. Hubby more.

    I get great low carb recipies off e-mealz. Check it out on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete