Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Sticky Conversation

Last night a friend and I went scrapbooking.  The house we go to serves a nice dinner.  We arrived on time.  Usually dinner is served about an hour into the night.  So my friend said she was starving and was hovering in the kitchen waiting for the chips and dip to be put out.

Friend:  I am starving but I had a sandwich at 1pm, I shouldn't be this hungry.
Me:  What kind of sandwich?
F:  A PB and J and I had 2 slices of toast for breakfast, alot of carbs!
Me:  Yeah! Almost no protein and not that much quantity overall.
F:  Peanut Butter is protein!
Me:  Yeah but when you eat you PB & J is in hard to talk?  Do you lay it on thick?
F:  No, I spread it thin
Me:  PB is great, when I eat an apple and PB I eat like 2 tbsp or more.  The protein isn't too high, but real PB is yummy
F:  I use skippy
Me: "sigh"
Me:  Natural PB is so much better for you.  Skippy does have a "more natural" PB you could try.

I was raised on natural PB so I understand the difference of being raised on skippy like PB.  I can see it being hard to make a switch.  I also thought the natural stuff would be higher in protein.  So this made me curious about the true difference in natural PB versus the skippys out there.  I know the number one difference is whole unprocessed versus over processed.  Let's look at the numbers and ingredients:

TJ's Creamy salted
2 tbsp, 190 cal, 16g fat, 7g carbs, 8g protein
dry roasted peanuts, salt

Skippy
2 tbsp, 190 cal, 16g fat, 7g carbs, 7g protein
Roasted peanuts, sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oils, salt

Skippy Natural
2 tbsp, 180 cal, 17g fat, 6g carbs, 7g protein
Roasted peanuts, sugar, palm oil, salt

So the only difference is the added sugar and oil = over processed.  The protein is basically the same but neither are very high in protein.  The calories are high and would be even higher (nearly 500) to get a meal portion of protein ( about 16g).  For a snack, 8 g of protein is good as long as the other portion of your snack isn't to high in carbs (15g or less).  At least this is the way I roll, every diet is as different as every person out there. 

4 comments:

  1. I use peanut butter more as a healthy fat than protein. It's yummy though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peanut butter. Too much, actually, so for now it is out of my house. I grew up on Skippy but switched last year to only the no-sugar added versions of PB. It did take some adjusting, they are less smooth. But now I like that better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Skippy over the summer for the first time in years - I couldn't believe how SWEET it was, it was just wrong. ONe of my fetish foods when I visit the US is to go by Whole Foods for the natural organic fresh ground peanut butter mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE PB. PB and apple is my fav.

    I use it for a snack mostly. I could use some more protein. Maybe I will have to re-think PB. As a fat might be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete