Saturday, October 30, 2010

Party Planning

I have 2 party events this weekend.  I love parties.  I am a shy social butterfly.  Weird, I know.  With the social, I love party food.  Both parties are potluck.  Even better.  I am "variety is the spice of life" kind of girl.  Especially with food.  Historically, these are the types of parties where I overeat and get miserable.  Add in the high calories for the bits of alcohol I consume and you have a hot mess. 

What is the best way to approach party situations with your heath in mind?

One wise, mostly thin friend would choose to skip the alcohol and spend her calories on food (or desert) without overeating.  Not that I am much of a drinker, but I do enjoy a cocktail on occasion.  Party number 1, tonight is without kids, so I really might want a cocktail bucket (or 2).  My very fit BFF or UPT (Unofficial Personal Trainer) might take a bite or 2 but otherwise avoids all the bad stuff.  With her, it usually depends on where she is with a goal.  If she is in goal mode, XXX weight or a triathlon coming up, she abstains completely.  That isn't for me me either.  One, I am not sure I CAN do that.  Two, I have no desire to abstain completely.

I have been having a hard time getting back on the horse since my colonscopy prep, etc.  In fact yesterday I was way way off the horse when I took the kids to Disneyland.  I am up 2 pounds.  I need to get back on the horse, wagon or whatever you want to call it.

So here is my plan:
  • Lots of water and tea.  I will make a big pot of my Oolong tea.   It is supposed to help with the digestions of carbs.
  • Exercise.  When I put the baby down for a nap, I will get on the treadmill.  This will be hard because I have a ton of stuff to do around the house too.  I have a sitter coming, so cleaning IS required.
  • Low carb for the day.  Steel oatmeal with flax, protein and no sugar.  Steak soup for lunch and an apple with PB just before the party.
  • Enjoy the party but keep it small and sensible.
The thing about weight loss, plans, etc that makes it so dam frustrating at times is that you don't know if you are on the right track.  Ever feel that way?

3 comments:

  1. I struggle with this a lot and often end up overeating:( I have a pre-trick-or-treat thing tomorrow and plan to eat at home first and carry a calorie-free drink in my hand. But I think moderation is the key. Small and sensible sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ran across your blog - love reading your posts; just wanted to say that it sounds like you really have your act together when it comes to planning for parties. Some people just wouldn't go because it would be too hard to stay on track; also, many people are so black and white about foods: it's all or nothing. I don't live my life that way. I enjoy food too much, so I just make plans and work my 'want' foods into my diet. Glad to see this is working for you and to find someone like me! Have a great time at the party......I LOVE Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, yes I feel that way!! I so know what you mean! I feel like I am always trying to plan what to eat, feel guilty when I don't eat, panic when we go to a party or out to eat. It's all about the eating!! It really shouldn't be that hard and time consuming. I also know what you mean by finding it hard to get on the treadmill when there are 1000 things to do around the house. I have to find SOMETHING to read or DO on the treadmill. Keep it up and stay positive!!

    ReplyDelete