Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Marketing Mania

Yesterday on our 320 or so mile drive to my parents house in mountains of central CA I must have seen over 300 billboards for the Lap Band.  I swear at some point there was like 5 in a row.  Being a former employee and current stockholder of the company responsible for the Lap Band I say whoo hoo.  Being someone who is trying to lose weight they plain old way of calorie restriction and exercise I am divided.

I understand it is a tool in a vast array of tools out there.  On the other hand I think the mass marketing leads to misinformation.  A good friend of mine was seriously interested in getting a Lap Band. That is until she actually went to all the meetings about the surgury, nutrition, the process and including a physiologist interview.  She was shocked by a few revelations about the Lap Band so she changed her mind.  The biggest shocker was they DO NOT remove the lap band unless medically necessary.  That shocked me too.  Here is a few other things I though were interesting.
If you are a regular coffee, tea, or soda drinker you should be aware that no caffeine is permitted for the first three months after surgery. Carbonated beverages; both diet and regular may cause gas, bloating, and an increase in stomach size due to the carbonation and are not recommended at any time for Lap-Band patients.   You also can't chew gum.
The second phase of the Lap-Band diet consists of 5 to 6 weeks of a modified full liquid diet; the key component of this phase is consuming two ounces of a protein shake every hour for ten to twelve hours a day with two ounces of other liquids such as soup, baby food, or sugar-free gelatin three times a day.

During the second six weeks following Lap-Band surgery patients may eat food that is shredded in a food processor prior to eating. The basic foods on the Lap-Band diet include meats or other forms of protein, vegetables, and salads. The Lap-Band diet does not include most bread, potatoes and other starchy vegetables. The length of these phases may be altered according a patient’s personal weight and weight loss goals – my first phase is five weeks, followed by a two week second phase.
No wonder people lose a ton of weight.  Liquid diet to a food processor diet.  No way, not for me.

3 comments:

  1. The LAP-band is definately not for everyone, but it can be a useful tool. And yes, they are marketing the Hell out of it, and they make it sound so easy, when it's really not. Even though I decided not to go that route, I have a couple of friends who have had it done and they have adjusted quite well, are doing great and maintaining their weight loss. From what I gather, you can eat "normally" after about 4 to 5 months, just slow, extremely chewed bites, but you can eat whatever you want. But still, the restrictions far outweighed (ha!) the benefits and I decided against it. If anyone out there is considering it, just be sure to do a lot of research and soul searching before you make the decision to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. having been down both roads...my .02.

    I had gastric bypass 10 years ago. Lost 130 pounds. Kept it off for about 5 or 6 years...then crept back up, dieted and lost most of it again, then it crept back up - and several false starts later, I found myself back at 240 (my highest weight is unknown - just over 300 pounds is my best guess). So 60 down from gastric bypass but 70 or so up from my lowest.

    weight loss surgery is a physical aid in losing weight. If you reached obesity because of mental reasons, you're not going to get the results you want. weight loss surgery only fixes what's below the neck. it's NOT brain surgery.

    Addiction is the culprit for me. And gastric bypass helped for awhile - but eventually - and because I didn't address the addiction side of my weight issues, it came roaring back.

    And that's how I ended up where I'm at.

    I am working on an entry outlining all that is "gaining weight after weight loss surgery - and other things they don't tell you"

    PS. Thanks for the great comment on my blog - I know you can do your tri!! I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the input ladies. Everyone has a story. Laura - can't want to read more.

    ReplyDelete