Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Power of Food (Fuel)

All week I have been eating on target.  I have been keeping it pretty low carb, high protein, and small portions.  I managed some exercise here and there.  Overall I have been feeling great, happy, high energy, getting lots done, and awesome.

Today I decided to have a Jersey Mikes sub with chips.  I choose this and I was totally conscious of my choice.  I choose an Original Italian with Ruffles (Cheddar Sour Cream).  I enjoyed my sub and chips.  It was delicious and I loved every smorsel.  I was full but not overfull, stuffed.  A little later I was walking in Target and I felt lethargic, sluggish, cranky, crappy, yucky and snippy.  It only got worse as the day went on.  Towards the evening I even felt achy and just all over bad. 

Was the total 180 in how I was feeling come from the heavy, carb and crap loaded lunch?  Really?  Did it have that much power on my body?  I heard people like Julian Michael's or Tosca Reno (Eat Clean) mention how all the preservatives, fillers, chemicals, etc can totally affect how they feel since they eat so clean all the time.  Was it a all just a coincidence?

What did I do after?
I had a pity party for the above and a few other reasons.  The pity party included 2 1/2 slices of buttered toast with jam and a scoop of ice cream.  Grand idea!  Great Dinner!

3 comments:

  1. You know, I feel the same way if I get fast food. All of a sudden I feel like I'm in a coma. I think it does matter. I also find it hard to stop... once I go down the road of not eating healthy, it is so easy to continue that. I've read - that at least with sugar, and I'm not sure if it's other preservatives, etc - but that there is a chemical reaction of seratonin that increases with the sugar, and then plunges, so that your body totally wants more sugar to feel better. It's a downward spiral. That's partially why I find it so hard to find the balance of eating healthy and having an occasional treat. Okay, two things... first, how do you get your protein high in your meals? I'm always at a loss for how to up my protein since I'm not a big meat eater. Also, where are your weight trackers since 8/3? :) Alesha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get this. I will update my weight tommorow. I really make sure I have protein at every meal. Yesterday I have 3 egg whites, 1 egg with a bagel thin (24g carb). Apple with protein. Nuts are good but I am not a fan. I guess almonds are best. For lunch I have at least 4 slices of lean turkey on bread, trying to stay under 30g carbs with the bread. This weeks I was doing the Costco canned chicken (with mayo) on chedder rice cakes. That was yummy. Dinner is hard, I am not a a fan of a big chunk of meat. Have you tried cutting the meat up and mixing it in, hiding it sort of. Please reply if you got this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, I did get this. Thank you! I'm just going to have to be more mindful. Good luck at weigh in tomorrow! Alesha

    ReplyDelete