Friday, August 6, 2010

August Goal

Do I want to commit to a goal for August?  I haven't made a single one of my goals in the timeline I set.  Is goal setting good?  Does it work for me?

I could easily throw out a reasonable number.  I even have the number in my head right now.  I actually have an Excel sheet that has the columns of date, -3 pound, -2 pound and -1 pound a week to project where my weight "can" be.  I update it with my current weekly weight.  I even have highlighted rows for future goal area, like end of July, day of my triathlon and my 10 year wedding anniversary.

My triathlon is quickly approaching.  I need to be able to run 3.1 miles straight.  Yesterday, I managed to run 1.5 miles non-stop as part of my 45 min treadmill exercise.  Should that be my August goal, not a weight one?

I don't know.  Does setting a goal just lead me directly to disappointment?

4 comments:

  1. Amy, I think that with your triathalon coming up in October, you should concentrate on fitness goals. Build up your endurance on your bike and your running. If you concentrate on those and keep your food relatively in check, your weight will follow suit. I'm so proud of you! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's is kindof where I was heading with my rant. Can I just say I really don't like running, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree with you and Melody. Goals do not have to be weight-related! Actually, if they lead to disappointment, then you do need to find what motivates you in other areas, whether it is by measurements, water ounces consumed each day, etc. And the triathalon provides LOTS of options for goals! You are doing great! Look at all that progress!!! Alesha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not been reading long enough to know what kind of goals you set, but I am a big believer (now) in setting behavioral goals, rather than a number for the scale. We can control our behavior but not that darn scale. That said, my summer goals and I have not been doing so well together. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete