If one oversteps the bounds of moderation, the greatest pleasures cease to please. ~EpictetusI wanted to summarize how I eat. The reason I say most of the time is because sometimes I eat out and sometime I have a yummy thing or two and then there is other times where I full out binge. I will be working on the mental aspects of the binge part. I do need to correct my binge habit. I would say it might be 1-2 times a month. I define a binge as - stuffing myself, unconsciously eating without any thought or plan, eating even though I know I shouldn't. Being that I am on a lifestyle change, not a diet, I will sometimes eat a desert or have some bread, etc. I do not consider these binges, I consider it part of life. The key to life is moderation.
This is how I eat most of the time.
- I don't track calories or write down what I eat
- "relatively" clean and mostly whole foods. No frozen meals, no artificial sweeteners, no HFCS, almost no over processed items. I am slowly working on cleaning it up more. I can't afford to go organic.
- no soda or juice
- lots of water and tea
- use sugar in my am tea but that's about it
- whole grains, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, steel oats etc
- use whey protein powder on occasion
- use flax meal and sometime flax oil
- lean meats (chicken mostly) and rarely some red meat
- outside food 2-6 times a month max
- eat 4-5 times a day
- keep my bread carb grams to under 30 with a meal and 15 for a snack (crackers), I don't count the fruit or veggie carbs that I might be eating, I just concentrate on the bread carbs.
- I try not to eat bread, when I do it will be in a sandwich at lunch
- I keep my portions small and I eat to satisfaction (not stuffed)
- I try to add fresh fruits and veggies when I can. I have a hard time with the veggies.
- I always eat a protein with a grain