Friday, June 18, 2010

How I eat (most of the time)

If one oversteps the bounds of moderation, the greatest pleasures cease to please. ~Epictetus
I wanted to summarize how I eat.  The reason I say most of the time is because sometimes I eat out and sometime I have a yummy thing or two and then there is other times where I full out binge.  I will be working on the mental aspects of the binge part.  I do need to correct my binge habit.  I would say it might be 1-2 times a month.  I define a binge as - stuffing myself, unconsciously eating without any thought or plan, eating even though I know I shouldn't.  Being that I am on a lifestyle change, not a diet, I will sometimes eat a desert or have some bread, etc.  I do not consider these binges, I consider it part of life.  The key to life is moderation.

This is how I eat most of the time.
  • I don't track calories or write down what I eat
  • "relatively" clean and mostly whole foods.  No frozen meals, no artificial sweeteners, no HFCS, almost no over processed items.  I am slowly working on cleaning it up more.  I can't afford to go organic.
  • no soda or juice
  • lots of water and tea
  • use sugar in my am tea but that's about it
  • whole grains, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, steel oats etc
  • use whey protein powder on occasion
  • use flax meal and sometime flax oil
  • lean meats (chicken mostly) and rarely some red meat
  • outside food 2-6 times a month max
  • eat 4-5 times a day
  • keep my bread carb grams to under 30 with a meal and 15 for a snack (crackers), I don't count the fruit or veggie carbs that I might be eating, I just concentrate on the bread carbs.
  • I try not to eat bread, when I do it will be in a sandwich at lunch
  • I keep my portions small and I eat to satisfaction (not stuffed)
  • I try to add fresh fruits and veggies when I can.  I have a hard time with the veggies.
  • I always eat a protein with a grain
Just a note, I am NOT a salad person.  I don't mind a side salad but not a salad as a meal.  I always get hungry much sooner.  I never feel satisfied.  It takes forever to eat with little benefit.

3 comments:

  1. QUOTE:
    "... times where I full out binge. I will be working on the mental aspects of the binge part. I do need to correct my binge habit."

    Sigh. Oh, yes, I know all about binges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my binging is 100% tied to my emotions and state of being. If I feel crappy, I want to feed the feeling. without a doubt. Time to find some tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you definitely have the right direction on food!

    ReplyDelete