Friday, May 21, 2010

Belly Issue

Does your belly hang low, does it wobble too and fro....

I really thinking this is an issue for people with or formally with obesity issues or maybe women who have had a lot of babies.  I carry most of my weigh in my belly.  I have had 4 pregnancies, 2 full term with 2 c-sections.  My normal position for my stomach is relaxed, puffed out, backed swayed.  I have to consciously do the tummy in and up.  I am not talking about a suck it in for pictures, just in so I don't walk around looking like a full term pregnant women.  It's not a natural position for me to have it in.  I have to think and remind myself to get it in.  My muscles in my stomach have gone to crap, they don't exist.  I really wonder what someone with no obesity issues does with their stomach?  Is a natural position for them to have it in?  Do they have to remember to pull it all in?
P.S.  Picture above is at my beginning, 215 pounds.  I have been waiting to hit the 20 pound mark to take new ones.  Soon!

I wanted to add another comment that might explain what I am trying to get across.  It's not about the flabby skin (I know that is and definitely will be a problem) It's more about the muscle use / positioning. That pelvic tilt feeling. Hard to really put in words. I guess it more about posture and do thinner people who never had an obesity issue have this problem.

5 comments:

  1. I only had 2 babies but after losing 130 pounds, my "tummy" hung to my thighs - there was no "sucking" it in, only "tucking" it in...to my pants. For having done so much work to lose weight, I wasn't feeling at all rewarded by the body I was left with. I had a reconstructive tummy tuck and it was the BEST thing I've ever done for myself - more so than losing the weight initially. I feel like - even at 200 pounds with a long ways to go - I have a normally shaped body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joke but am somewhat serious when I talk to the Mr. about the future need for SX. I know the skin will need to be fixed but it's more about the muscle use / positioning. That pelvic tilt feeling. Hard to really put in words. I guess it more about posture and don't thinner people who never had an obesity issue have this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O wow, my belly is the same way :( Always having to suck it in so that I don't appear pregnant 24/7, or so it seems.

    I've having a bad weekend ... my last weeks weight was at 168lbs and I fear I may have put on a few pounds this weigh in. :(

    O my.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember years ago being in an aerobics class and my very fit instructor was relaying a conversation she had... that, yes, that slight tummy tautness is an everlasting condition even for her and her sister (both of whom had rockin' bodies). It's about conditioning your mind and body to hold your core strong. In my opinion, the stronger the core, the easier this is...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melody HendersonMay 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM

    Amy, you know I have the same issue of carrying most of my weight in my middle. Total Apple here! When I was working out with a trainer, I asked her what was the best exercise for the belly. She said, rather loudly I might add, "SUCK IT IN!". She said the more you walk around with a relaxed belly, the more your muscles will relax. If you make an effort to pull your stomach muscles up and in all the time, they "learn" to stay that way because they get stronger. Just a thought.... Of course, getting rid of the fat doesn't hurt either!

    ReplyDelete