Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Is being selfish a bad thing?

Selfish \Self"ish\, 1. Caring supremely or unduly for one's self; regarding one's own comfort, advantage, etc., in disregard, or at the expense, of those of others. [1913 Webster], 2. Believing or teaching that the chief motives of human action are derived from love of self. [1913 Webster].

I am beginning to realize that this weight loss journey takes a bit of selfishness. This epiphany came to me today. Every day I have to love myself enough to choose myself. Every day and moment is a battle to be selfish enough to be successful on this journey versus balancing all the other stuff of life. Sometimes I have to choose the treadmill over playing with my son. The balance of it all is hard. Today I choose to pay a babysitter $20 of my “allowance” so I could go to a yoga class. That’s 20% of my money for 2 weeks. Many days I choose to leave the house a bit dirty so that I get my workout in and proper sleep. But oh do I do that 100% guilt free? Not always. Sometimes there is guilt involved when I choose to be selfish. I think the #2 definition hits the nail on the head of how I am thinking.

In my SAHM (Stay at Home Mom) journey I have met many many moms. Some of these moms seem to be super “with it” and really have the balance, but on the other hand they admit to getting only 4 hours of sleep. Is that really in balance?

1 comment:

  1. Let me start by saying that I feel the same way. I feel selfish by taking those steps to get me healthy... but if I take "me" out of the equation... I would tell YOU and anyone else that it is NOT "selfish" to take care of yourself. You are giving a GIFT to your family that you will be healthy, live a longer, fuller, life and you will be able over time to enjoy it more and be with them more. It is our challenge as moms to get away from feeling like it is selfish, which is hard to do. As for balance. Maybe that's a bit like the leprechauns we are recognizing today... a bit fleeting? :) I'll believe in "balance" when I achieve it. Alesha

    ReplyDelete